Belarus matchbox label with the image of Brest Fortress. The text on the label reads:”Brest Fortress” and at the bottom:”Ruins Of Terespol Gate”. The fortress is located in Brest, Belarus. The fortress is a 19th. century Russian fortress. In 1965, the title Hero Fortress was given to the Fortress to commemorate the defence of the frontier stronghold during the first week of the German Soviet War, when Nazi Germany invaded the Soviet Union. On June 22, 1941 the German Wehrmacht attacked the Brest fortress with no warning. The attack started with an artillery barrage. The defenders were taken by surprise and initially failed to form a solid front. By 09:00 that day, the fortress was completely surrounded. The ensuing battle of Brest Fortress lasted for 32 days, during which lives lost about 2000 soldiers and officers defending the castle, and attackers losing nearly 430 soldiers and officers. The last defended object in the fortress was taken by June 29. About 6,800 Soviet soldiers and commanders were captured. According to Soviet sources, the battle lasted until 20 July, with no one surrendering to the Germans. This narrative became a testament to the resilience and courage of Red Army and Soviet people. A few Soviet soldiers did indeed hold out inside pockets of the fortress until as late as 23 July. In the late 1960s, the construction of the war memorial complex “Brest Hero Fortress” was started. The complex was opened on September 25, 1971. The memorial complex is a national place of grief and pride, a popular tourist attraction. This site was added to the UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List on January 30, 2004.
Old matchbox label made in end 50’s, early 60’s. On the label there is the Ukranian Pavilon at the permanent Bahx exhibition in Moscow (VDKN exhibition). This huge exhibition site contains dozens of buildings and there are millions of visitors each year. On the site there are some pavilons that are dedicated to certain regions and cities of the old USSR.
Matchbox label from 1968. On the label there is a sculpture wich was made by Matvey Manizer. As a student Matvey Manizer (1891-1966) was a prominent Russian sculptor. Manizer created a number of works that became classics of socialist realism attended the State Artistic and Industrial Academy there, and the art school of the Peredvizhniki from 1911 through 1916. From 1926 he was a member of the Association of Artists of Revolutionary Russia. In 1941 he moved to Moscow. Working in an academic and realistic style, Manizer produced a great number of monuments situated throughout the Soviet Union, including some twelve portrayals of Lenin. Manizer was awarded the People’s Artist of the USSR (1958), Member of USSR Academy of Arts (1947), vice president of USSR Academy of Arts (1947-1966), chairman of the Saint Petersburg Union of Artists from 1937 to 1941, and winner of the Stalin Prize three times.
Matchbox label from the Soviet Union made late 50’s, early 60’s.
Shown is the “Worker and Kolkhoz Woman”.
The monument is 24.5 metres (78 feet) high, made from stainless steel by Vera Mukhina for the 1937 World’s Fair in Paris, and subsequently moved to Moscow. The sculpture is an example of socialist realism in an Art Deco aesthetic. The worker holds aloft a hammer and the kolkhoz woman a sickle to form the hammer and sickle symbol.
The matchbox label is from late 50’s, early 60’s.
The Kudrinskaya Square Building is a building in Moscow, one of seven Stalinist skyscrapers and is 160m./520ft. tall. The skyscraper was laid down in 1950 and completed in 1954. It was the last of the Seven Sisters to be completed.
Its apartments were originally intended for the political elite of the former USSR; they are currently inhabited by wealthy Russians.